For Students

In today's knowledge-based economy, what you earn depends on what you learn.
-- Former U.S. President, William J. Clinton


Tax Savings for Students

Tax season offers a valuable opportunity to ensure all legitimate tax advantages are identified and optimized, even for students enrolled in a Canadian post-secondary institution who might think their income is too low to warrant attention. Read more.



The Rising Cost of Education

How will you pay for it?


Manulife Segregated Fund RESP

Helping to fund a child’s post-secondary education is one of the most important investments you can make in their future, especially in today’s competitive environment where a good education is crucial to success. Yet, with the rising cost of tuition fees and living expenses, personal savings alone may not be enough to cover the cost of higher education.

The Manulife Segregated Fund RESP is a new investment solution to help you save for a future post-secondary education need.

What you should know:

  • A Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)  is a flexible and convenient way to save for a child’s future post-secondary education
  • Government grants and incentives may be available to qualified Student Beneficiaries to help RESP savings grow
  • Investment income generated in an RESP is tax-sheltered as long as it remains in the plan
  • When withdrawn, plan growth and government grants can be taxed at the student’s tax rate (he or she could pay little or no tax on this money)
  • There is no annual contribution limit with an RESP, but the lifetime maximum is $50,000 per Student Beneficiary
  • Anyone can open an RESP – parents, guardians, grandparents, other relatives, or friends
  • Individuals can also purchase an RESP for themselves for future post-secondary education needs
  • A segregated fund contract offers unique protection features, including death benefit and maturity guarantees

Please feel free to contact us to learn more about RESPs and get more information on the government incentives and grants available.

The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company is the issuer of the Manulife Segregated Fund Education Savings Plan insurance contract and the guarantor of any guarantee provisions therein.

Studying Out-of-Province?

  1. Notify your provincial healthcare provider to ensure your coverage is maintained if you will be out of the province for more than 6 months.
  2. Review exactly what situations and emergencies are covered by your provincial coverage.
  3. Check with the educational institution you will be attending to see what, if any, insurance coverage they offer in addition to your provincial healthcare.
  4. Check with private travel insurance providers such as Manulife or Blue Cross for any additional coverage you may need. Manulife Travel Insurance for Students, for example, includes tuition protection in the event of a medical emergency.